Did you know......100 g of fresh parsley leaves carry just 36 calories? Additionally, its leaves carry no cholesterol and fat, and are rich in anti-oxidants, vitamins, and minerals , and that's why we add bunches to our beautiful Broth. Plucked straight from the organic veggie patch. Pretty good eh ? and very satisfying for us too. Here are a few little facts about this wonderous herb.......
- Parsley contains health benefiting essential volatile oils that include myristicin, limonene, eugenol, and alpha-thujene.
- The essential oil, Eugenol, present in this herb has been in therapeutic application in dentistry as a local anesthetic and anti-septic agent for teeth and gum diseases. Great for bad breath too so if you have over done the garlic the night before munch on a bunch !
- The herb is a good source of minerals like potassium, calcium, manganese, iron, and magnesium.
- Additionally, the herb is also rich in many antioxidant vitamins, including vitamin-A, beta-carotene, vitamin-C, vitamin-E . The herb is an excellent source of vitamin-K and folates.
- Fresh herb leaves are also rich in many essential vitamins such as pantothenic acid (vitamin B-5), riboflavin (vitamin B-2), niacin (vitamin B-3), pyridoxine (vitamin B-6) and thiamin (vitamin B-1). These vitamins play a vital role in carbohydrate, fat and protein metabolism by acting as co-enzymes inside the human body.
- It is, perhaps, the richest herbal source for vitamin K; Vitamin K has been found to have a potential role in bone health by promoting osteotrophic activity in the bones.
I'm not a doctor or health practioner, I'm just interested in our health, and keeping healthy and fairly energetic so I can keep up with life, and to fit in some FUN ! Which is what we are all having in these glorious School Summer Holidays I hope. We are, with trips to the beach, circus school and adventures galore. Coming home to a delicious bowl of zucchini noodles made with our own vegetables of course, and simmered in our nourishing chicken broth. Top that with a handful of parsley and some feta and WHAM ! Taste explosion... Until next time .